Comfort



Comfort’s Charm Comfort, Texas was established in 1854 by predominantly “Freethinker” German immigrants. They rested here by the meandering Guadalupe River and were so taken with the place, that they didn’t see any need to travel further.The downtown area is possibly one of the most well-preserved business districts in Texas. There are well over 100 structures in the area dating back to the 1800s, and seven of them were designed by the noted architect, Alfred Giles. Mr. Giles lived in San Antonio and was Comfort’s first commuter. He would ride horses, the stagecoach, and later the train to check his building sites in Comfort.Photo to your right is the Ingenhuett-Reed house, circa 1900  A water district, established in the 1950s, covers the town area of approximately one square mile. The current population in the water district is 1,350. Some 2,500-3,000 people live within a three to five-mile surrounding area.Most of the population today are composed of the descendants of those original pioneer families of the 1850s and the 1860s. Ernst Altgelt, at the young age of 22, is credited with surveying and measuring the lots that would later be sold to the incoming German immigrants. He stayed and married Emma (Murck) Altgelt and they raised their nine children in the township of Comfort.

In 1918, Albert Steves erected a bat roost on his family farm and summer home in Comfort. This roost was built to attract bats in an effort to control mosquito populations by natural means. It was originally researched and developed by Dr. Charles Agustus Rosenheimer Campbell of San Antonio. At the time this was the latest in medical technology in the campaign against malaria. At one time there were 16 bat roosts built in the United States and Europe, of which only two sites now remain—one in Comfort and one in the Florida Keys.

The town is nestled in gently rolling hills beside the Guadalupe River and Cypress Creek.  Noted as the “Star of the Texas Hill Country” it is a must see town in your travels to the Hill Country.  Close to San Antonio and just off I-10 you can easily access downtown within minutes from the interstate.  There is a feeling of peace and contentment in this small community, which has been here from the beginning.

Many rock buildings and businesses remain in a splendid state of preservation and did not have to go through the rigors of restoration. The 1880 Ingenhuett-Faust Hotel is one such building and the 1930 Comfort Theater (originally financed through public subscription) is another.

Comfort is also known for a not-so-pleasant event that took place during the Civil War. Many tourists view the Treue Der Union Monument (located near the middle school) to recall the hostilities that plagued our nation during the civil war.   Predominantly German settlers of Comfort were openly sympathetic with Union cause .Because they opposed the state’s secession from the Union. Friction developed with Confederate forces, and some 65 men led by Fritz Tegener determined to leave area and go to Mexico. The Group was surprised and attacked by mounted Confederate soldiers on west bank of Nueces River about 20 miles from Fort Clark. Nineteen settlers were killed and nine wounded. Confederate losses were two killed and 18 wounded. The nine wounded settlers were captured and executed a few hours after battle. Monument commemorates the Unionists killed in this tragic episode of a violent era. One of only six National Cemeteries permitted to fly the U.S. flag at half-staff in perpetuity.
Read more about Comfort Texas at Texas Escapes

Comfort remains unincorporated today.

 


http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasHillCountryTowns/ComfortTexas/ComfortTexas.htm

www.greatercomfortchamber.com/comfort.html    – Comfort, Sisterdale, Center point, Waring and Welfare information.

Share

Switch to our desktop site